Basic Carpentry Tool List – 14 Tools Everyone Should Own
One of the most common questions we get asked by a new hire is: What tools should I own personally? So let’s talk about a basic carpentry tool list that everyone should own even if you’re not a full time remodeler!
Why You Need Your Own Tools
Besides the obvious fact that you’ll probably need these tools at some point in your life, there are other benefits to buying this list we’re about to give you. Here’s just two:
- Think of those Saturday morning calls you have to make every week asking your dad, friend, or neighbor if you can borrow their tools. While they might not mind lending to you, who wants to be that person? Let’s become the person everyone else comes to for tools!
- Owning your own set of tools is going to boost your DIY morale. Who knows, you may even find the courage to tackle that remodeling project you’ve been dreaming about – all because you bought your own hammer!
So let’s get right to it! Here are the 14 things we think you ought to go out and buy right now (not necessarily in order of importance):
- A Tool Belt – A simple one will usually suffice
- A Tape Measure – We’d recommend getting at least a 25′ long tape
- A Chalk Line – Oh! And don’t forget some chalk with that!
- Construction Pencils – These are just a little beefier than regular pencils
- A Speed Square – It looks like a triangle but we call them squares
- A Hammer – A 16 oz hammer is a good start but if you want to work out your arm more go for a 21 oz
- A Utility Knife – For cutting things (and throw in some extra blades)
- Hand Held Multi-Tool Screwdriver – One of my favorite tools to keep on hand
- Cat’s Paw (Or More Officially A Claw Bar Nail Puller) – This one is very handy when you have to pull nails
- Wire Strippers – This is a must for any electrical projects
- Lineman’s Pliers – They grip things and cut things, so nice
- Headlamp – For all those dark attics and scary crawlspaces
- Level – This will help you keep things from ending up looking like crap
- Tool Bag – Of course you’ll need somewhere to put all your new tools
Should I Buy Everything All At Once?
If you’re just getting started, it can be hard to buy all these tools at once. But no worries! Simply send this article to your family members when your birthday rolls around and you’ll be set in no time!
But, really, should you buy everything all at once? Personally, I’ve never regretted purchasing a tool. My wife has probably regretted me purchasing a tool. But that’s because her eyes haven’t yet seen the beauty of owning a tool you might use only once a year. Even if it’s going to sit in the attic for a while before getting used – it’s worth it to me! That’s just my opinion I guess.
No More Excuses!
Tool bag loaded and ready to go! Let’s take on those projects you’ve been putting off!
“Together we can do this!” – that’s your new tools talking.
Leave some comments or questions below!
One thought on “Basic Carpentry Tool List – 14 Tools Everyone Should Own”
If you have a certain type of tool you think should make it to this list, let us know!